We are delighted to announce the launch of a series of practical flowcharts for journals and data repositories who are dealing with ethical concerns relating to data publication. Each of the four categories outlined in the 2021 recommendations has accompanying flowcharts for issues that occur before and after publication.
- Authorship and contributorship of published data: dealing with concerns
- Authorship and contributorship of unpublished data: dealing with concerns
- Concerns about risk in unpublished data
- Concerns about risk in published data
- Scientific rigour of unpublished data: dealing with concerns
- Scientific rigour of published data: dealing with concerns
- Legal and regulatory restrictions of unpublished data: dealing with concerns
- Legal and regulatory restrictions of published data: dealing with concerns
Research Data Publishing Working Group
COPE and FORCE11 formed the Research Data Publishing Ethics Working Group in January 2021 to lead the development of standards for research data in publications. In September of that year the Working Group, in collaboration with COPE, developed recommendations for the handling of ethical concerns related to the publication of research data for four categories of data issues. This was followed by the development of policy templates to help journals, publishers, and data repositories communicate their policies around data publication.
The Working Group is now closing and we thank everyone involved for their work and commitment in developing these valuable resources.
Find out more on the FORCE11 blog about the Working Group activities, and opportunities to feedback with suggestions for further work in this area.